Managed IT Services and Security


We are an IT Services and Support company based in Hatfield Hertfordshire. We believe that your staff should be spending their time working with your clients / customers, not spending hours on the telephone to your IT support company.

If you would like to know more, please send an email to TonyH@clearview.co.uk. I will then get back to you to arrange a date when we can meet up to explain how we can reduce the cost of your IT by using our experienced IT staff with the right automated tools to support your business.

Sunday 31 March 2013

How To Protect Your Online Privacy

If you have read my blog recently, you will know that I had my PayPal account hacked a couple of weeks ago. It’s pretty embarrassing for me to get caught out since I have been involved in IT Security for over 10 years, but it shows that if it can happen to me, it can also happen to most of you who are reading my blog. So here are some helpful tips to ensure that you aren't the next one to end up with egg on your face and a hacker in your PayPal account.

The Online Golden Rule That I Broke!
I’m pretty convinced that my password was compromised because I made the schoolboy error of using the same password for PayPal as I had used for another Internet site. That site was probably hacked specifically to get hold of the web site's password file so that the hacker could try the email addresses and passwords on shopping sites such as Amazon and PayPal. When they tried my email address and password in PayPal, they would have thought that they had struck lucky. Fortunately for me, I saw the email payment confirmation from PayPal on my iPad, so I reported the incident to PayPal and changed the password within 20 minutes. Credit goes to PayPal who acted to return my £680 within 48 hours.

How Easily Can Hackers Get Your Passwords?
It is distressingly easy for Internet criminals to get hold of your PayPal / Amazon passwords. All they need to do is get hold of your password for another Internet site and then simply try it on Amazon, PayPal, or any number of other Internet shopping sites. If you are a Twitter user, have you ever seen any emails like this one?


If you have, and you clicked on the link, you probably also gave the bad guys your Twitter password, and if you use your Twitter password for PayPal, Amazon etc. please stop reading this blog post and go and change those passwords now!

The Golden Rule … DON’T RE-USE PASSWORDS!!
You may be careful not to click on “dodgy” links, but that won’t stop the bad guys from hacking one of the web sites that you belong to and getting your password, and don’t think that adding a “!” or a “£” to the start and end of your pet stick insect’s name is sufficient protection either. Password cracking software is pretty sophisticated now and will probably crack it in a few seconds (unless your stick insect is called Sy900$r5%)!

So How Can You Stay Secure Online?
The simple answer is that you need a system to provide you with strong, unique passwords for your online web site logins, and next week I will be happy to share mine with you. Don’t forget to come back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a burning "How do I do that?" IT question that you need an answer to? Post it here and one of our engineers will answer it if they can. If we can't, we will get back to you and let you know nonetheless.